The Negro League

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Negro League

+2
Newark Eagles
Steelheads
6 posters

Minor League Draft

Poll

Would you be in favor of a minor league draft?

[ 9 ]
    Minor League Draft Bar_left90%Minor League Draft Bar_right [90%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Minor League Draft Bar_left10%Minor League Draft Bar_right [10%] 

Total Votes: 10
    Steelheads
    Steelheads
    Admin

Minor League Draft Empty Minor League Draft

Post  Steelheads Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:28 pm

The information for the draft is as follows:

-Two Rounds
    -Reverse Snake (12-1, 1-12)
    -Must be in minors at time of draft
    -You hold a two-year option on the player (although if you choose to keep them the 2nd year, it counts as a future Minor League draft pick...example: can only pick 1 instead of 2 next year)
    -If called up, you have 2 days to either activate them and cut someone else or else you forfeit the rights to that player
    Newark Eagles
    Newark Eagles
    Admin

Minor League Draft Empty Re: Minor League Draft

Post  Newark Eagles Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:31 pm

I dont necessarily have a problem with it but it definitely changes the way some people would have drafted.. before I vote: how do we handle the players that were already picked?
    BlackYankees
    BlackYankees
    Admin

Post  BlackYankees Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:34 pm

wilson already said he would keep fowler on his major league roster regardless...and im assuming ed wouldnt have taken laporta and not planned to keep him on his roster neways....those were the only 2 picks like that
    ABCs
    ABCs

Post  ABCs Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:40 pm

I love anything involving minor leaguers. I'd draft 20 minor leaguers. A whole Triple-A team.

As for guys already taken in the major league draft, that's fine. If you're willing to use a roster spot on a minor leaguer to ensure you get them, that's fine.

I know Wieters, Fowler, and LaPorta have gone. Who cares? They are occupying a major league roster spot.

In terms of who is eligible for the minor league portion, I think the player needs to qualify for Rookie of the Year still, and need to be on a major league roster. No drafting collegians, high schoolers, Cubans, or Japs.

I'm open for debating the merits of this system.

But I'm all for minor leaguers. I have a list of about 200 already, so a worst case 24 shouldn't be hard to put together.
    Black Barons
    Black Barons

Post  Black Barons Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:42 pm

dont worry newark i think Arod will make the major league roster this year
    Newark Eagles
    Newark Eagles
    Admin

Post  Newark Eagles Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:53 pm

Hey, whats up with the cheap shots? I'm merely asking for a fully baked idea before I vote. For instance, can we trade our 2 players? Can we only trade them for other minor leaguers? If you trade one of your minor leaguers do you get to replace him with someone undrafted or are you now limited to keeping whoever was left after trading?
    Steelheads
    Steelheads
    Admin

Post  Steelheads Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:05 pm

Newark Eagles wrote:Hey, whats up with the cheap shots? I'm merely asking for a fully baked idea before I vote. For instance, can we trade our 2 players? Can we only trade them for other minor leaguers? If you trade one of your minor leaguers do you get to replace him with someone undrafted or are you now limited to keeping whoever was left after trading?

Ditto, good question there
    smalls30

Post  smalls30 Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:27 pm

I think it's a pretty good idea, and I'm voting yes, but I def. agree with Justin and think that we should figure it out a little more before we implement it obviously.
    ABCs
    ABCs

Post  ABCs Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:21 pm

I'd assume we can trade them...but you can only have 2 prospects on your minors at one time. And once you trade them - they're gone. No replacements.

That's how I'd do it anyway.

I say Justin, Matt, and Sean - voice opinions here. Everyone else SHOULD be going to the spring meeting. We can discuss then? Yes?
    Newark Eagles
    Newark Eagles
    Admin

Post  Newark Eagles Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:58 pm

For the record.. I wanted to go to the spring meetings but Matty El is being a little woman and won't do it! Stupid organized basketball..
    Newark Eagles
    Newark Eagles
    Admin

Post  Newark Eagles Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:03 pm

ABCs wrote:I'd assume we can trade them...but you can only have 2 prospects on your minors at one time. And once you trade them - they're gone. No replacements.

That's how I'd do it anyway.

I say Justin, Matt, and Sean - voice opinions here. Everyone else SHOULD be going to the spring meeting. We can discuss then? Yes?

I am more in favor of having 24 minor league spots total, and it doesnt matter whos team they are on. This way you could make trades using minor league players as part of a deal (as would make sense). So some teams could have 2 minor leaguers, some have 1, some have 3, 0 etc as long as the original 24 were kept throughout the regular season.

At the next draft next year you have the option of keeping those guys or throwing them back and redrafting another guy in his place. And if you keep your two guys you just dont draft that year.

Additionally, if you draft a guy and are willing to hold on to him there should be no 2-year max holding period, just every year if you want to keep him you keep him.
    Steelheads
    Steelheads
    Admin

Post  Steelheads Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:27 pm

Newark Eagles wrote:For the record.. I wanted to go to the spring meetings but Matty El is being a little woman and won't do it! Stupid organized basketball..

#2 v.s. #7 'nuff said

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 4:30 am