The Negro League

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Negro League

3 posters

Full Roster-Draft Minor Leaguer in Round 17?

Poll

Should it be allowed?

[ 1 ]
    Full Roster-Draft Minor Leaguer in Round 17? Bar_left11%Full Roster-Draft Minor Leaguer in Round 17? Bar_right [11%] 
    [ 8 ]
    Full Roster-Draft Minor Leaguer in Round 17? Bar_left89%Full Roster-Draft Minor Leaguer in Round 17? Bar_right [89%] 

Total Votes: 9
    Steelheads
    Steelheads
    Admin

Full Roster-Draft Minor Leaguer in Round 17? Empty Full Roster-Draft Minor Leaguer in Round 17?

Post  Steelheads Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:11 pm

With their rosters being full, should the KC Monarchs and NY Black Yankees be allowed to take a minor leaguer with their last round selection?
    Steelheads
    Steelheads
    Admin

Full Roster-Draft Minor Leaguer in Round 17? Empty Re: Full Roster-Draft Minor Leaguer in Round 17?

Post  Steelheads Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:11 pm

Big No in my opinion but wanted to gauge league interest.
    ABCs
    ABCs

Full Roster-Draft Minor Leaguer in Round 17? Empty Re: Full Roster-Draft Minor Leaguer in Round 17?

Post  ABCs Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:29 pm

Agreed on the no. Especially this year, where the minor league thing is still being ironed out.
    sportsboy010

Post  sportsboy010 Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:21 pm

My thing is how would this be any different than anyone else deciding to use their last pick/late pick to draft a clear minor leaguer which has been done in the past? In this case, you would only end up getting 1 pick in the minor league draft and would have to fill out your last roster spot from the waiver wire. If you choose to not go after mlers in the late rounds and want to take a chance on a prospect I think you should be able to. It doesn't really change that much, but I guess you could say it's an added benefit to a team who has extra picks or has a team they are happy with and don't need anymore pics.
    Steelheads
    Steelheads
    Admin

Post  Steelheads Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:28 pm

In my opinion the reason I am against this is because these rules were not set forth before the draft began. If we knew you could get minor leaguers before, that would have altered many draft strategies. Just think people would much rather a minor leaguer than some of the bottom of the barrel guys available at this point in the draft.

In years forward with minor leaguers established, I feel like it will be okay, just not this year since we don't even have the minor league rules set in stone.
    ABCs
    ABCs

Post  ABCs Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:02 pm

I am against it for the reason Matty El entailed. It's new. We can't change it this year.

And in the future...I think the idea is help out lower finishers. 12th place should have 1st pick in the minors. If we let teams use their majors spot to fill their minors guys, 12th place no longer has first pick.

That's why you should be at the spring meeting...
    sportsboy010

Post  sportsboy010 Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:29 pm

Well I do agree with Matty El just because it is a late installment but then we should just forego it all together until next season when everything can be worked out. Also, there are other flaws as well which can't be discussed such as why are we drafting so early? The later the draft the better it will be. As of now it is very much a crap shoot. Also, I know you are a fan of the way the draft order is now but realistically it is very much flawed as well. It has good intentions but in practice it's not so good. I do not believe that tanking is an issue and with the current system the bottom teams are getting screwed and the fringe team/s (people who finish on the bubble) are just getting better. There are several issues that, I believe, need to be corrected which can't even be discussed 'til seasons end anyway. Therefore, I do not feel I will be missing much.
    Steelheads
    Steelheads
    Admin

Post  Steelheads Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:19 pm

I think draft order is always going to be a tough choice. Just think even if the last place team had first picked, you then have to wait 23 selections later (so 2 choices in 24 picks) as opposed to the way it is now (2 picks in 17 picks) so there is a chance to get 2 very solid players rather than one great and one good.

The draft timing issue has a lot to do with people's schedules. We have to schedule around spring breaks, classes, tests, etc. Now I must admit we went much faster than I would have thought we ever would, but having this done early allows for trades and no stress of worrying about getting picks in from those on spring break.

Wils adds a good point the bottom finishers if they draft well could select the future Ryan Brauns of the world and by having this system in place a top team just due to waiver priority can't get the promoted future stars.
    sportsboy010

Post  sportsboy010 Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:04 pm

Yes but then they also have 3 picks in 25 as opposed to 2 in 3 in 29. I mean not huge but it could be depending who is available.

I think the draft went much faster this year because it was before everyone was on spring break. Last year I believe it was during different people's spring breaks which would explain the longer draft time.

I was just pointing out what I see to be some other issues. I think the draft time is the biggest one but not a huge deal I guess. No biggie.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:46 am